Friday, November 6, 2009

Do the Charleston

It's a cold Friday morning here in Bellmore, NY. I have survived the Microsoft Outlook Cutover at work, though there is much more work to do. With the Mrs. off on Fridays and no need to be at work at 8:00 am, I felt the need to promote a tournament I went to last year.

If you get a chance, go to the 2nd Annual Charleston Classic, Thursday November 19 - November 22. TWELVE games over FOUR days. We were there last year for two days (it was a three day tournament last year) and I wrote two articles on it. Here's the first and this is the second. Charleston is a really wonderful city. Old southern charm, great southern architecture and lots of fun things to do. Plus it's warm!!! (temperatures were in the high 70's when we were there last year)

Best yet is the Carolina First Arena on the campus of Charleston. It's right smack in the middle of campus, which happens to be right smack in the middle of downtown South Carolina. It seats 5,000 and was very nicely done. Hopefully they fixed the roof drainage issues from last year (read my second article).

Last year I got to see three NCAA teams play in the tournament; Clemson (who won the tournament), Temple and East Tennessee State. I also got to see why the College of Charleston and their 27 win team beat Davidson twice last season. This year the teams playing are South Carolina, 2009 NIT champion Penn State, University of Miami, Davidson, South Florida, LaSalle, Tulane and UNC Wilmington.

Some really solid teams playing in this tournament. Now this is my only beef. What's missing here? That's right, the College of Charleston is not playing in the Charleston Classic, yet archrival Davidson is. Charleston will be in Hawaii playing in the inaugural Diamond Head Classic during that time. Yeah, Hawaii in November, I can see that.

But if you can't afford to go to Hawaii to see the Cougars play, take the trip to Charleston. I would have gone again this year but alas Kansas awaits me next Friday (and I am only allowed one road trip in November). The hotels are relatively inexpensive, there is good live music there and make sure to eat at Hyman's seafood if you go! Plus twelve games in four days!! Do the Charleston!

No comments:

Post a Comment