Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What's on Tap for Tonight?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. And don't worry, its in the public domain (courtesy of public domain pictures.net). After the day I had, I need a beer. I picked up a rental car while I figured out whether to fix my car or take the total loss payment from my accident last week.

Them my younger son Jonathan decided to get sick with a virus the night before. When I took him to the doctor's office, there was a burning smell and the Bellmore Fire Department was caused. After a few minutes they evacuated the building. We never got to see the doctor. But they called me back in the afternoon after they figured out the problem and Jonathan got his diagnosis prescription. During the time we were sent home and before we went back to the doctor, I did my best to keep up with my work e-mail. And of course, I got caught up answering e-mails.

Then I went to the pharmacy the doctor's office recommended to pick up the nebulizer (insert your Star Trek joke here). The pharmacy, Keezac Pharmacy in North Bellmore said I was not covered by prescription insurance and I know I am (CVS has my information). So after getting horrible service from a pharmacy that was empty (now I know why - don't go there), I picked up my older son Matthew from day care and headed home. Thus the headline for the article and the picture for the article. My beer is chilling in the fridge as I write this.

So there are a few important games tonight, some on TV, some on the Internet. So depending on the game you want to watch, you may want to go to the bar, or to the 7-11 to get a six pack to head back home for the internet coverage.

First, you have Purdue trying to remain undefeated hosting Minnesota on ESPN tonight. Kansas, Texas and Kentucky get a lot of pub, but of all the remaining undefeated teams, the Boilermakers may have the best defense of them all. I first saw them shutdown Alabama in the second half of their game after trailing by 15 points. Then I caught some of the dismemberment of then undefeated West Virginia, holding the Mountaineers to 13 points under their season average.

In a game a little more dear to my heart, 11-1 Rhode Island continues their "2009-10 Mid Major Tour" as they travel to Akron to take on the 10-3 Zips. The Rams have played one of the more underrated schedules as they have won at Davidson, at BC, Oklahoma State (played at Mohegan Sun in Conn.) and at Drexel (never an easy task). They also have home wins over Providence and Northeastern. The Rams only loss - to another group of Rams, the VCU Rams.

Meanwhile the Zips have feasted on home cooking (7-1) but they may find the Rams hard to swallow. Akron has only played two road games on the season (1-1, including a loss at Texas A&M). Akron's defense will be severely tested. The Zips only give up 61.7 points per game but Rhode Island averages over 80 points per game.

Finally, on the West Coast, in a game that has major Mountain West implications, 11-3 San Diego State hosts #14 New Mexico. The Aztecs need a win over the 14-1 Lobs to be considered a part of the MWC NCAA Tournament discussion along with BYU and UNLV. The Aztecs don't have any big wins on their resume (sorry Mo Goldman, Arizona doesn't count), so a win vs. New Mexico is critical. New Mexico, like Rhode Island, averages 80 points per game. San Diego State allows only 59.6 points per game. Something has to give at Viejas Arena tonight.

You can find both Rhode Island/Akron and New Mexico/San Diego State games online, though you have to pay a subscription. So if it its worth it to you, pay the monthly rate, then grab a beer, a couch and your laptop and enjoy some college basketball. Otherwise, watch Purdue-Minnesota on ESPN. And if you have had a long day and a sick child, have a beer anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment